Monday, July 30, 2007

A trip to the V&A

Took a trip to the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum) recently. There was a sublime exhibition of Surreal art. Got to see the works of Salvador Dali, including his lobster telephone and my favourite Renee Magritte. I saw the originals for this, this and this. In case you haven't realised by now, Magritte is one of my favourite painters so they nearly had to pitch me out bodily. Also acquired a new interest in the works of Leonor Fini whose pieces many times contained woman with her own strong, sensual features. I couldn't get you any photos from the Surreal Thinge exhibition itself and my camera had no juice but I got you some pics none the less from my phone. Sorry about the quality. Enjoy as much as I did.

Perseus kills the Minotaur. Marble, Canova.
Poetry in death.


A silver gauntlet. It's amazing how we grow up thinking how big
and strong these men must have been. This is way too small for my hand.


A 19th century wedding dress. Wedding dresses weren't tradionally white until the increase in the popularity of muslin. They also would have been worn throughout the woman's lifetime on special occasions.





No comments: